Family Law

No more hard feelings! We are here to help you to move on.

Enquire Now

Why Ascent Lawyers?

We are committed to helping you at a difficult time in your life.

One-Stop Problem Solving

Our family lawyers can take care of your divorce, property settlement and parenting arrangement issues.

Free 15-min Consultation

We provide 15-minute free initial consultation to give you a general idea and assessment of your case before engagement.

After Hour Appointments

If you are unable to meet us during business hours, we can always come see you either after work or even during weekends.

Quality of Service

Committed to ensuring the best possible outcome for you. We will update you on any progress and changes.

Multilingual & Multi-media

We speak your language (English/Mandarin/Cantonese). We are easily accessible by phone, email, social media and SMS.

Diligent & Responsible

We believe in the strict compliance to all ethical standards. Guiding you through each stage of your case is our pleasure.

No one likes family disputes.
But we’re here for you to resolve them!

Frequently Asked Questions


To apply for divorce in Australia, the following 4 requirements must be satisfied:

  • One of you meets the residency requirement
  • The marriage has irretrievably broken down
  • You have been married for at least 2 years (What happens if my marriage is less than 2 years?)
  • You have separated for at least 12 months and 1 day

If you cannot locate your spouse, you may apply for a sole divorce application.

Normally you would need your spouse’s address to serve the divorce papers. In such circumstances, you have to prove that you have taken all reasonable steps to locate them but failed. You will need to make a further application to ask a court to dispense with service or for substituted service.

Property Settlement

People know these agreements as ‘prenuptial agreements’ but the legal term is ‘financial agreements’. A Binding Financial Agreement sets out how all or any of the property or financial resources of either or both of the parties to the relationship is to be divided.

A Binding Financial Agreement is the most cost-effective way for the parties to finalise a property settlement, avoid disputes and court proceedings in the unfortunate event of separation.

You can make a financial agreement before, during or after a marriage or de facto relationship. These agreements can cover:

  • financial settlement (including superannuation entitlements) after the breakdown of the relationship
  • financial support (maintenance) of one party by the other after the breakdown of a marriage or a de facto relationship
  • or any incidental issues

A divorce and property settlement are two different legal processes. Although property settlement is not compulsory for divorce, it is still an essential way to secure your personal property and finalise your financial ties with your ex-partner.

If you fail to do property settlement properly:

  1. Your property division may be unfair and unreasonable
  2. Your liabilities may not be separated after separation/divorce
  3. The other party may still be eligible to claim your property after separation/divorce
  4. After the time limit to apply for financial orders, it would be harder to properly settle property issues

Both married couples and de facto partners can seek spousal maintenance from their partners after separation if they cannot adequately support themselves.

To apply for spousal maintenance, you need to satisfy the following two requirements:

  • You are unable to adequately support yourself
  • The other party is able to pay you spousal maintenance


If you can agree on the arrangements for your children

Then you should consider arranging a parenting plan. This method is much cheaper and saves you time. It is drawn up with a shared commitment to your children and their future. A written parenting plan, agreed upon by both parents, will provide certainty on the arrangements for the care of your children.

If you cannot agree on the arrangements for your children

Then you should consider seeking a parenting order made by the court. The court must consider what is in the best interest of the child and make an order accordingly. You should be warned this process can be expensive and it takes time. However, a parenting order is legally enforceable and breaching it does have legal consequences.

Learn More:
Parenting Plan vs Parenting Order

Child support is payable for all children living in Australia whose parents have separated, whether or not the parents were married. Normally, child support stops when your child turns 18.

To pay child support to a child over 18, an application can be made to court if:

  • it is necessary to enable the child to complete their education or
  • the child has a physical or mental disability

Domestic Violence Order

If you believe your safety is at risk, and the normal application process won’t protect you quickly enough, you can make an application for an urgent temporary protection order.

Urgent orders may be made to protect the aggrieved even if the respondent is not present in court or is not notified about an application for a domestic violence (ex parte order).

The aggrieved is required to establish that an urgent order is necessary or desirable. If possible, contact us or the police as soon as possible.

Learn more
All you need to know about domestic violence order

There are 3 options you can take as a respondent to a DVO:

  • Consent to a DVO, accepting the allegations
  • Consent to a DVO being made against you on a “without admissions” basis, meaning you don’t accept the allegations
  • Disagree to a DVO, proceed the matter to a trial

Learn more:
How to Properly Respond to a Domestic Violence Order?

How It Works

We are always happy to help you figure out what to do.

Get in touch

Our experienced lawyers will listen to your story and tell you what to do next.

Engage us

Once you engage us, we will gather the required details and work on your case.

Getting to work

We provide the most efficient solution and give you instant updates.

Achieving results

We will strive to achieve the result satisfying your best interests.

What People Say About Us

Based on 127 reviews
Bonan Shan
Bonan Shan
2 years ago
I was lucky enough to be introduced to Ascent Lawyers for my personal injury case back in 2019. All the lawyers demonstrated high level of professionalism throughout all the stages of engagement. Ascent Lawyers was not only able to provide tailored legal advice, but they had been extremely informative and transparent during the entire process. This is particularly extraordinary when you consider the no-win-no-fee business model for PI matters. My case, in the end, was concluded with excellent results. I would like to use this opportunity to thank the whole team for their hard-work and professionalism, as well as Kira and Mengpei's close involvement with my case. I think their 5-star google review record does not lie. I would also recommend this firm to anyone.
WJ Liu
WJ Liu
3 years ago
Great thanks to Will for being my solicitor, for his patience, professional and instructive work which makes everything goes on well. Thanks!
Devon Fung
Devon Fung
3 years ago
From my personal experience dealing with Jacqueline from Ascent Lawyers, all I can say is that she is professional, reliable and goes above and beyond to deliver the best outcome. Always kept us informed with any updates.Overall, I would highly recommended her.
3 years ago
Very efficient and professional through out the whole case and amazing attention to details. Would definitely recommend.
Yuan Chen
Yuan Chen
3 years ago
Very trustworthy law firm with professional and friendly staff. Pricing is very reasonable as they solved my problem efficiently. I strongly recommend it to everyone one.
yy rain
yy rain
3 years ago
Ms Gao is an expert in her profession, and provides excellent service. She is patient and answer all enquires quickly! Would definitely recommend her to everyone!